Monday, April 14, 2008

Tough Call

I don't know if you've heard about the latest buzz surrounding McDonald's.  I've heard it from several sources.  Apparently, a McDonald's executive has joined the board of directors for the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC)--a business organization that pushes the homosexual agenda.

To make matters worse, before all of this came out, our church youth group already had a "Power Lunch" scheduled at our local McDonald's.  Now, I'm not saying anything about somebody who's flipping burgers or cooking fries under the golden arches.  As a matter of fact, at lunch today, my wife's boss was talking about his weekly stop at McD's for Sunday breakfast, and I didn't even bat an eye.  It just didn't occur to me that his McGriddle and sausage biscuit could have been poisoned with the influence of a homosexual supporting executive.

My question is this...what are we to do about situations where our local businesses have executives in their company who support causes that we don't stand by?  Are we to boycott the local business owners because of a decision that they had no part in?  Could this be an opportunity to be "light in a darkened world?"  If we are going to boycott, how far should we go?  Should we just boycott the business or should we boycott the subsidiaries?  In this case, if we boycott McDonald's you need to get rid of your Motorola Razor, stop drinking all pepsi products, quit sending packages by UPS, don't rent cars from Avis, and you can't fly anywhere with American Airlines.  That's quite a boycott!!  So...what are YOUR thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it would be nearly impossible to boycott all the big businesses that support causes in which I do not support. I have never been a big supporter of the massive organized boycotts; however, I do think God calls us to be good stewards of our money and make tough decisions on how to spend it wisley. To simplify....I certainly do not support certain business causes (or people for that matter), but that does not mean the whole organization is corrupt. Think about how many McDonald's there are and how many "good" people work there to support their families. Do we as Christians hurt those "good" families in an effort to make a point to the top executives that are only really concerned with being politically correct and making money?

The good news.....We are talking boycotting McDonalds and NOT Sonic. Giving up Sonic would be a problem!

Anonymous said...

Well Bro. Dan we did discuss this at great length the other day and I have given it more thought and prayer and I'm still not 100% sure either. But I still believe that we as christian men and women have the responsibility to show our displeasure just as Jesus did in the temple. Now I also believe that like Jesus did we are to let them know that God loves them. But to me now, to simply do nothing or say nothing is like turning a blind eye and hoping that it just goes away. It just don't work that way. But maybe God will reveal to me soonwhat He would have me do.
Anyway you know that I love ya brother!!

Anonymous said...

aren't we as Christians to love one another? no matter if we are red yellow black or white?? let alone gay or straight?