Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Long Awaited Day...

I enjoy golf. It's one of the places that I find solace. I really enjoy getting away from the busyness of my day and going to the golf course to enjoy some moments of solitude (and some challenging competition at the same time.) Well, one of the things that I have been looking forward to ever since we knew that we were having a baby boy was taking him out to the golf course with me. We took Jonah out to Duncan Park on his 1st birthday, but that was just to take a picture at the 1st hole marker (an idea Nicki got from one of her friends). We also took him to the putting green that day, but it was quickly obvious that was not his scene! I thought my days of enjoying the golf course with my little boy may be coming to a premature end.

So yesterday was a real joy!!! Nicki was in Jackson, so Jonah and I had the day to ourselves. That meant lots of playing, lots of chasing, and, at the end of the day, a short round of golf. It was Jonah's first real time to go to the golf course to play. We had recently bought him a "just-his-size" putter and I was anxious to give him a chance to use it.

I actually figured we would just go out and play around at the putting green, but when I stepped outside and noticed how hot it was, I figured riding on the golf cart would give him a chance to cool off between shots. So, we arranged a price with the pro shop and ventured out for a few holes. it was not very long before I realized how much fun this was really going to be. The first time I got into the golf cart and put my arm around my little boy, it almost brought tears to my eyes. I was so excited to be able to have my little boy with me enjoying some thing that I have enjoyed for so long.

One story from the day. I had a putter ("puh-er" in Jonah language) for him but not any other clubs. That will take a couple of years of growing. So, when i was doing anything except putting, I had to find something for him to do. I would tell him where to stand and he would stand there without moving a muscle. Then, I would tell him to watch the ball. Right after I hit the ball, Jonah would let out a typical, "Iownno." For those of you that don't speak a language...that's "Jonahese" for "I don't know." Of course, that's because Jonah would be looking intently at the ball on the tee or the ground and all of a sudden a "whoosh" and the ball was gone. Hard to describe here, but it made me laugh every time.

What a cool experience to see that little boy growing up. I'm so excited thinking about all of the years of enjoying many experiences like this over the years. We only made it through 4 holes yesterday, but I know the day is coming when Jonah will last through all 18...even beat his dear old dad. What a day that will be!!









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonah's growing up too fast but he will beat his daddy in golf!!! In a few years.

Anonymous said...

Precious! Precious! Precious!
Thanks for the update!! :-)
Hope

Amanda said...

What a great day that must have been for you both!