Thursday, July 24, 2008

GI Joe and the Bible

Jon Acuff over at stuffchristianslike.com has a post comparing the different versions of the Bible to GI Joe.

You should go over and read it then come back here...

As a point of information...I was a HUGE GI Joe fan when I was a kid. I still remember the "...and now you know...and knowing is half the battle" lessons at the end of each episode.

Well, I'll leave it up to Jon to describe the bible in terms of GI Joe characters, but I'm curious what you guys think about this debate. Is it really worth all of the time that people give to it? Is it really worth the headache and division that it can cause?? As a matter of fact, when you really think about it, is the version of the Bible a reflection of your character like so many people seem to assume that it is??

I for one don't think so. The Bible that you carry is just a personal preference. Me? I preach from the NIV, but at home, I read the New Living Translation (one that didn't make Jon's list...sniff-sniff). How about you? What version of the Bible do you like best and why? Is it just because that's what you've always had or because you actually see something in there that really interests you? Leave me a comment and let's do a little unofficial poll...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Coming from the perspective of one who taught a bible curriculum that required students to memorize scripture only from KJV, I personally prefer NLT....it makes life easier. When my students would question what KJV meant, I would break out NLT and things would be more easliy understood. Thats my two cents!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, the translation a person reads really isn't something to get all twisted up about.

For me, I have a good many different translations. When I am doing a group bible study, I generally will grab my NIV because teachers tend to use this and I want to more easily follow along with them.

But at home, I enjoy reading the different versions. For whatever reason, one month I may lean towards one version and the next month another one.

The variety and ability to compare them is yet another reason (secondary) that keeps me intrigued and interested.

Also sometimes I can read scripture in one translation and just not seem to be able to grasp the meaning. But reading the same scripture passages in one or more other translations sometimes helps the pieces fall together in my head better.

So my theory is.. the more the merrier!