Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Drive '08

If you've been around me for any period of time, you're probably heard me mention my affinity for Andy Stanley and Northpoint Community Church. Well, this week, I'm at the mecca for Andy and Northpoint...I'm in Alpharetta, GA at the Drive Conference. This is a conference put on for pastors, church staff members, volunteer leaders, and anyone else who wants to see something new and exciting happen in their church. By the way...that's me! I want to see something really GREAT happen at FBCV!

I've really enjoyed the conference so far. It's been an absolute information overload, but isn't that how any conference should be that is teaching you how to reach people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ more effectively?! I absolutely think so!!

I actually just got back to my hotel from the second night of the conference. We had a guest speaker tonight. You might have heard of him. I'll give you a hint: Are you smarter than a 5th Grader? Still don't know? Ok, another hint: You might be a redneck if.... That's right! Jeff Foxworthy came and did an entire comedy routine for our conference. Now, you have to know that when I see something funny on TV or hear someone tell a really funny joke, I belly-laugh! Tonight, my side was splitting. I haven't laughed that hard in a while! It was very good therapy.

However, I don't think there was any way it could have topped what happened LAST night! During the first service, we were given an opportunity to take communion! What an opportunity! I can't remember the last time I took communion and wasn't worried about what I was going to say, how long it was taking, what I was singing about, if we were going to have enough for all of the people in church that day (I didn't used to worry about this one, but I probably will from now on! Read here).

Not only were we allowed to take communion, but there was also a painter that was doing abstract paintings of Jesus on stage. It ranked right up there with the birth of Jonah, getting married to Nicki, and our first Christmas with Jonah on a short list of "full" experiences in my life! Have you ever had one of those moments where the love of God was so real to you that it just brought you to tears? Well, last night, I was a basket case. It was just unbelievable seeing those pictures of Jesus, singing "Oh, how he loves us...Oh, how he loves me...Oh, how he loves." I remember once during that experience while I was holding the representation of his body and blood in my hands and trying to sing those phrases, but all that would come out was a blubbering sound that you usually make when you're trying to say something to somebody but your tears are just getting in the way. (That's not very descriptive, but I think you get the picture.) It was absolutely a GOD moment for me!

I think the thing that moved me the most was the obviousness of Christ's love in that moment. It was almost so real I thought I could touch it. I would swear I could actually feel the arms of Jesus reaching around me and holding me tighter than I've ever been held. Even as I sit here and type this, my eyes are welling up with tears. Hold on while I tell the person at the computer next to me that I'm fine...

Ok...here's the point. How long has it been since you have experienced the love of God in that tangible of a way? How long has it been since you come face to face with the fact that God loves you no matter what? How long has it been since you simply realized that "God LOVES YOU?" Well, let's not let it go another moment...I'm here to tell you that God does love you. As a matter of fact, He's CRAZY in love with you. He wants the very best for your life. He wants to show you how much He loves you. No, He's already shown you how much He loves you...He sent His SON! So there...God loves you. I hope that hits you as much up side the head as it did me last night. Now, since I've told you...go tell somebody else!!

1 comment:

TeenMOPS said...

WOW. Wish we could be there with you! So glad you are getting the time you need to spend with GOD. How awesome. Thanks for sharing with us. We love you and are so proud of you. Oh, and we know that you just forgot to add "meeting the Mraz's" as one of your hightlights in life! HaHa. Looking forward to seeing you July 4th!